Simple version of Workers’ Compensation in Washington State

We hope that no one ever has to use worker’s compensation as a result of an on-the-job injury. However, if you do, it is a complicated process to navigate. For any accident, or injury, the incident should be reported in case it later leads to a worker’s compensation claim.

The following is a great place to start when you do have a claim:

We all have sickness, illness, and injury leave that will be used first prior any wage replacement. A common misperception is that worker’s compensation will provide full compensation, or that it will be accessed instead of sick leave. That is not the case. This is why employees have long-term disability insurance and if you do not have very much sick leave, it may be wise to consider short-term disability as an optional insurance.

This web page is very informative about “wage replacement:”

“If you miss work because of your injury and your doctor certifies you are unable to work, L&I or your self-insured employer may pay for a portion of your lost wages, called "time‑loss compensation."

However, the 3 days in a row of work immediately following your injury are considered a waiting period. L&I or your self-insured employer won't pay for these days, if they are the only ones you miss.

Questions workers have

Does time-loss compensation pay me the same amount I earned as a worker?
When do I begin receiving my time-loss checks? How long will they continue?
What happens if I don't cash my benefit check?
Is time-loss compensation taxable?

Did you know?

Time-loss compensation benefits won't cover all of your lost wages, only a fraction. Plus, it requires your medical provider's ongoing certification. Ask your employer if there are other jobs you can do to earn your wage or salary while you recover.”